If you’ve seen the new Canadian Food Guide, you know that the guide recommends filling half your plate (or bowl!) with vegetables and fruit, one quarter of your plate with whole grains, and the last quarter with a variety of protein foods. We’ve got good news for you: not only are whole eggs the highest quality source of protein available, but they fit perfectly into a balanced Food Guide plate! Why? Eggs are so versatile, making them a great vehicle for incorporating more fruit, veggies and whole grains into your diet.
Whether you’ve been following a more plant-based eating pattern, or you’re just trying to fit more plants like fruit, veggies and grains into your meals, we’ve put together some of our favourite recipes to keep you fueled all day long.
- Whole grains are an important part of healthy eating, containing important nutrients like fibre! That’s where Banana Oat Pancakes come in. Sweetened with banana and made with rolled oats instead of refined flour, they’re a healthier, higher fibre twist on your favourite sweet breakfast. BONUS: the whole family will love it and the kids will have no idea it’s a healthy breakfast!
- Double up on heart-healthy foods when you combine eggs and avocado: they both contain heart-healthy unsaturated fat! Not only are Baked Avocado Eggs a modern twist on a baked egg, but the avocado makes for a creamy and delicious edible breakfast bowl!
- Want a delicious and nutritious one-skillet meal? Shakshuka is the answer to busy weeknights.
- Mushroom lovers rejoice! This hearty Poached Egg Wild Mushroom Salad is the perfect way to eat all of your favourite mushrooms and a poached egg at the same time. Take your pick of cremini, oyster or shiitake mushrooms, or why not try a blend of all three?
- The taste of Mexico at lunch? Yes please! Chock full of hearty ingredients like beans, avocado and poached eggs, this Huevos Rancheros Salad will fill you right up and help you power through the afternoon!
- Get to know your new favourite whole grain: barley! It’s so delicious you’ll barely know it’s healthy. Poached Egg with Mushroom and Barley Pilaf is the perfect weeknight dinner to add to your repertoire of plant-based dishes!
- The best part about frittatas? Their versatility and ability to taste delicious no matter what veggies you fill it with. This Zesty Eggplant Frittata is all about eggplant, peppers and tomatoes. Not to mention, it tastes just as delicious the next morning for a breakfast of leftovers!
- Introducing your new favourite snack: Crustless Carrot Mini Quiches! Not only do carrots have endless health benefits, but these easy snacks can be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer. Delicious, healthy, AND convenient.
- Spinach and Mushroom Soba Noodle Soup is comfort in a bowl. Enjoy it alongside a leafy green salad.
- Healthy AND a grab-and-go option, does it get any better? Even when you’re in a rush, having protein in the morning is a great way to keep you fuller throughout the day. Enjoy the pop of protein on-the-go with Muffin Tin Frittatas with Salsa.