- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) sliced green onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup ( 375 mL ) grated carrots (about 4 small)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup ( 375 mL ) shredded Swiss or part skim mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup ( 75 mL ) yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) dried basil
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) pepper
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add green onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until tender but not browned. Add carrots; cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add cheese, cornmeal, basil, nutmeg and pepper in large bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in carrot mixture.
Spray 12 (see note below) or 24 (1-½-inch (4 cm) muffin cups with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tbsp (15 mL) carrot mixture into each muffin cup. Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven until set, about 15 minutes.
Let stand for 2 minutes. Remove quiches from pans. Serve hot.
If you only have one mini muffin cup pan, bake half of the carrot mixture at a time, keeping the rest in the refrigerator.
The baked mini quiches can be frozen and reheated. Once baked, let cool completely. Then place onto baking sheets and freeze. Once quiches are completely frozen, store in a resealable bag in the freezer. To reheat, place quiches on a baking sheet and let thaw in the refrigerator. Bake in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.