As Halloween is coming up, make chef Lynn Crawford's famous and delicious Mummy Meatloaf! A spooky meal that the whole family will enjoy.
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 60 min
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup ( 75 mL ) milk
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) ketchup
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) dry mustard
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb ( 0.7 kg ) ground pork
- 1 lb ( 0.5 kg ) ground beef
- ½ lb ( 0.3 kg ) ground veal
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup ( 75 mL ) parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) each salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Soak breadcrumbs in milk. In a large pan over medium heat, add butter and cook onion, garlic, celery and carrot until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire, ¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup, dry mustard, thyme. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add pork, beef, veal, soaked breadcrumbs, eggs and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Using hands, mix until just combined; do not overmix.
Transfer meatloaf mix to baking sheet and form into a long mummy shape. Brush remaining ketchup over entire shape. Drape bacon slices over to form wrapping.
Bake meatloaf for about 50 minutes to an hour, or until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 160°F (70°C).