- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) melted butter
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) butter, softened
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) vanilla
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) baking powder
- ¾ tsp ( 4 mL ) salt
- ⅔ cup ( 170 mL ) milk (1%)
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) wild, fresh or frozen blueberries
Stir brown sugar and cinnamon together in small bowl. Add butter; stir until blended. Set aside.
Lightly grease and flour 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until blended.
Stir flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl. Add a third of flour mixture to egg mixture; beat just until blended. Add half of milk mixture, beat just until blended. Continue alternating flour mixture and milk until both are incorporated into batter. Add blueberries; mix batter gently by hand just until combined. Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
Bake in preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven until toothpick inserted near centre of cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
This cake is especially delicious made with wild blueberries.
For a nut topping, replace 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar with 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour, and add 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds or finely chopped walnuts.