Two-Ingredient Banana Pancakes
Two ingredient pancakes? Just eggs and banana? The results are beautiful, thin, delicate, pancakes, which look and taste like the more traditional flour-based breakfast treat. These pancakes are wonderful on their own, but even better with a selection of toppings. Try chopped walnuts and banana slices, or fresh strawberries, or lemon & blueberries, or even a handful of chocolate chips. Oh, do not forget the syrup!
- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- 8 eggs
- 4 ripe medium bananas (approx. 7” and 5-6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons oil of your choice (or more as needed)
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Place eggs and banana in a blender until purée until completely smooth (banana pieces in the batter can cause the pancakes to rip when flipping).
Using a brush or piece of paper towel, lightly oil a non-stick griddle or large skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Once the cooking surface is hot (approximately 365°F using an infrared thermometer), pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake, slowly into the pan. The pancakes will expand to about 5 inches in diameter, so do not overcrowd the griddle or skillet.
Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges are dry, 3.5 to 4.5 minutes. Using a thin spatula, gently lift, then flip the pancakes and cook until browned on the bottom, another 1.5 to 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a parchment lined sheet pan.
Lightly oil the pan again and repeat with the remaining batter. Once all the pancakes are cooked, place the sheet pan into the oven, to warm the pancakes through, 5-7 minutes.
Serve warm pancakes with maple syrup and your favourite toppings.
- Every stovetop and skillet heats up differently, so you may need to use low heat or medium heat to get your skillet to temperature. The pancakes should brown evenly, not burn in 3.5-4.5 minutes.
- These pancakes are quite delicate, especially when flipping. Use a wide (but thin) spatula and get as much of the pancake on the spatula as possible, before gently flipping. You may break a couple, so you might want to plan to make a few more than you think you need. 2 eggs & 1 banana will make 4 pancakes.
- Use two skillets to cook more pancakes at the same time.
- Pick up discounted, over-ripened bananas at your grocery store. These bananas are extra flavourful, and you save money!