- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- 4 T-Bone steaks, 8-10 oz each (225-285 g)
Steak marinade - Makes approximately 325 ml
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
Summer potato salad
- 2 lbs (1 kg) tri-coloured mini potatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 small white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped dill
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pickled jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pickled jalapeno liquid, or to taste
- 4 tsp (20 mL) salt
- Pinch black pepper, cracked
Pickled jalapeno peppers - Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup (250 mL) jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
Lay steaks in a single layer in a shallow dish. Spoon marinade over to cover both sides, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium high.
When ready to serve, remove steaks from marinade (discarding marinade) and barbeque, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare doneness. Transfer to a plate, tent with foil, and let rest.
Serve with Summer Potato Salad.
Step One: Stir all ingredients together. Pour into an airtight container, refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.
Summer potato salad
Place potatoes in a large pot of cold salted water, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool for 10 minutes.
Cook eggs to just under hard boiled. Let cool; peel, quarter and set aside.
In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil and melt butter. Add onions and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer onions to 1 plate and let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, stir together dill, mayonnaise, pickles, pickled jalapenos, pickled jalapeno liquid, and salt. Gently fold in potatoes, onions and eggs. Season to taste with black pepper and serve immediately.
Pickled jalapeno peppers
Place jalapenos in a small bowl.
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, wine, vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Pour hot pickling liquid over jalapenos, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.