- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- 5 thick slices of bacon
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) kimchi
- 1 Spanish onion
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) white button mushrooms
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) garlic, chopped
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) baby spinach
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) gochujang (red chili paste)
- 4 eggs
- 1 baguette or 4 slices of toast
Using a sharp knife, slice the bacon into small pieces, approximately 0.2 inches (0.5cm) in size.
Finely chop the kimchi, Spanish onion and mushrooms into small pieces and dice tomatoes.
In an 8 inch (20 cm) cast iron skillet or frying pan, fry the bacon at medium heat until crisp.
Add the chopped garlic, onion and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the baby spinach to the skillet.
Add the diced tomatoes, kimchi, light soy sauce, maple syrup and gochujang to the skillet and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
Transfer to an 8 inch (20 cm) baking dish. Omit this step if using a cast iron skillet.
Crack the eggs on top of the stew and finish cooking in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes at 350° F (180° C) until the egg whites are cooked through.
Serve with toast or baguette slices.