- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) tahini
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) honey
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) ground cumin
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) hot water
Pickled Pink Onions
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) white sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- ½ small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) cooked quinoa, at room temperature
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) olive oil
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each kosher salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 baby bok choy, sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 mini cucumbers, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
- 14 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
To make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, stir together the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, honey and cumin. Thin the dressing with hot water, whisking until smooth. Set aside until ready to serve.
To make the pickled pink onions: In a small pot, bring the vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Add the onions and toss to coat for 30 seconds over the heat. Remove pot from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and bright pink in colour.
To make the lemony quinoa: In a bowl, stir together the quinoa, chickpeas, parsley, lemon zest and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To make soft boiled eggs: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Use a slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer; cook for 8 minutes for a jammy yolk and for 10 minutes for a firmer egg. Remove the eggs and place in ice water to stop the cooking and to make peeling easier. To peel the eggs, gently tap each egg on the counter to crack the shell all over. Starting at the larger end, peel off the shell.
To assemble the grain bowls, divide the lemony quinoa between two large shallow bowls. Top with the bok choy and then arrange little piles of pickled pink onions, cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes and radishes. Slice the eggs in half and top each bowl with three halves. Serve with tahini dressing on the side to drizzle over everything.