- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced cucumbers (half moons)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced shallot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) honey
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
Divide spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas and eggs between two resealable plastic containers.
Whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, chives, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper until combined. Pour into two small resealable plastic containers; pack along with salad.
Tips: For extra protein, add a sliced grilled chicken breast or leftover steak to the salad.
To cook hard boiled eggs: In saucepan large enough to fit eggs in single layer, place eggs and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs with 1 inch (2.5 cm) of cold water. Cover and bring eggs to rolling boil over high heat. Remove from heat; let stand in water for 18 to 23 minutes depending on the size (18 minutes for medium-size eggs, 20 minutes for large eggs and 23 minutes for extra-large eggs). Drain water; immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled (rapid cooling helps prevent a green ring from forming around yolks).