- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) dried crushed chilies (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn kernels (defrosted and drained) or 1 cob corn, grilled*
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) green pepper, chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, chili powder, salt, baking soda, and crushed chilies.
In a small bowl, mix together eggs, buttermilk, and oil; add corn and chopped peppers. Stir into flour mixture, mixing just enough to moisten all dry ingredients.
Spoon the batter into 36 paper-lined or nonstick mini muffin cups. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes 36 mini muffins.
*For grilled corn:
• Remove husks and brush corn with canola oil
• Grill on medium heat, turning occasionally