- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 35 min
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) packed brown sugar
- 5 lb (2.3 kg) ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) cornmeal
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- Pinch each salt, ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) buttermilk
Maple Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°F). Heat 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet over medium heat; add butter and brown sugar. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until sugar melts and mixture starts to bubble. Stir in peaches, lemon juice and cinnamon.
Combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp (30 mL) water. Add to skillet; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon until well combined. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture until just moistened. On work surface, place dough between two sheets of parchment paper; roll out into 10-inch (25 cm) round. Remove top sheet of parchment paper; invert rolled dough over peaches.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown and cornbread springs back when touched lightly in centre. Transfer to rack; let cool completely or serve warm.
Maple Whipped Cream
Whip cream until stiff peaks form; beat in maple syrup. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Serve with cornbread.
Substitute plums, apples or pears for peaches if desired.