- Prep Time:
- 35 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- 12 oz ( 345 g ) your favourite flaky pastry dough
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) butter
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) finely chopped shallot
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) baby spinach
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) coarsely grated Emmental or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) diced cooked smoked ham (1/2 in /1 cm pieces)
- 4 eggs
- 11/2 cups ( 1.375 L ) whipping cream (35% MF)
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) fresh thyme, chopped
On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry dough into a 12 inch (30 cm) circle about ¼ inch (1 cm) thick. Line a 9 inch (23 cm) fluted tart pan with a removable bottom with the pastry, pressing it into the bottom and up the side. Trim away any extra pastry around the top with a sharp knife. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add shallot and lightly sauté just until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Place the chilled tart shell on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the bottom of the pastry with the cheese and then distribute the spinach and shallot evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle the ham on top.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and thyme together until combined but not frothy. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the tart shell to cover the filling.
Bake on the centre rack of the oven until pastry is golden and filling is just set, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing the fluted ring.
Serve quiche sliced into wedges either warm or at room temperature. It pairs well with a side salad of fresh arugula or baby greens.