- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 4 min
- 3 eggs
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) milk
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) vanilla
- 4 (1-inch/2.5 cm) thick slices day-old whole grain bread
- 3 medium bananas
- 18 strawberries
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) fruit-flavoured or vanilla yogurt
Whisk eggs and cinnamon in shallow bowl until blended. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
Dip one slice of bread at a time into egg mixture, turning to coat both sides. Remove from egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Place bread on hot skillet. Cook until bottom is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn over and cook other side until browned.
Remove bread from skillet and place on cutting board. Cut each slice into three equal strips, then each strip into three cubes. Cut each banana into six slices.
Thread a cube of bread onto 8-inch (20 cm) wooden skewer. Alternately add fruit and bread so skewer has three bread cubes and three portions of fruit. Repeat with remaining bread cubes and fruit, making 12 skewers.
Serve with yogurt for dipping.
• Buy unsliced bread and slice it yourself or ask to have it thickly sliced at the bakery or grocery store.
• Day-old bread is best for French toast; when dipped in the egg mixture, it will hold its shape better than fresh bread.
• Use the bread of your choice (e.g. white, raisin, sourdough).
• Omit cinnamon; use chocolate milk instead of white milk.
• Drizzle kabobs with maple syrup, fruit syrup or chocolate sauce.
• Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over both sides of French toast before cutting into cubes.
• Sprinkle kabobs with icing sugar.
*Portions: (2 kabobs per serving)