Creamy Pasta with Ham, Peas and Poached Eggs
A simple way to make use of common ingredients in your home, this rich and velvety dish is packed with flavour and can be made in one pot, making it the perfect dish to easily serve up to family and friends.
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) margarine
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) ham, diced
- ½ cups ( 125 mL ) cream
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) milk
- 8 oz ( 230 g ) dried spaghetti, spaghettini or linguini noodles
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) green peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups ( 375 mL ) grated cheddar
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) sea salt
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) black pepper
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) sliced or dried chives
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) chopped or dried parsley
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) lemon juice
- 6 cups ( 1.5 L ) of water
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) white vinegar
- 4 eggs
Heat margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
Add ham and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Add cream, milk and dried pasta, ensuring the liquid is covering the noodles.
Place a lid on the pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 12-14 minutes, until noodles are cooked “al dente.”
Add peas, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and stir until cheese has melted.
Remove pot from heat and gently stir in ¼ cup parmesan cheese, herbs and lemon juice.
Transfer the cooked pasta to a platter and rinse out the pot.
Add 6 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Add white vinegar and a big pinch of salt.
Crack all 4 eggs into a bowl, ensuring the yolks stay intact.
Use a slotted spoon to stir the water and carefully pour the eggs one at a time into the pot.
Poach for 3-4 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Use the slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to a paper towel lined tray.
Place poached eggs on top of the pasta. Finish with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a ¼ cup remaining parmesan cheese, and enjoy!