- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced pancetta
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2 oz/70 g), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt and pepper
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook shallots, pancetta, red pepper, rosemary and hot pepper flakes for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and pancetta starts to brown.
Stir in butternut squash, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until squash starts to brown. Stir in broth, butter, vinegar and honey.
Cover; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and squash is tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan and chives.
Meanwhile, melt butter in nonstick skillet set over medium heat; break eggs into skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs whites are just set for sunny-side up or cook until done as desired. Divide hash among 4 plates. Top each serving with fried egg.
Substitute finely crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese for Parmesan cheese if desired.
Substitute a pinch of smoked paprika for hot pepper flakes if desired.