- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) olive oil
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) chopped shallots
- ⅓ cup ( 75 mL ) diced pancetta
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2 oz/70 g), peeled, seeded and cubed
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each salt and pepper
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) butter
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) honey
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) salt and pepper
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook shallots, pancetta, red pepper, rosemary and hot pepper flakes for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and pancetta starts to brown.
Stir in butternut squash, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until squash starts to brown. Stir in broth, butter, vinegar and honey.
Cover; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and squash is tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan and chives.
Meanwhile, melt butter in nonstick skillet set over medium heat; break eggs into skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs whites are just set for sunny-side up or cook until done as desired. Divide hash among 4 plates. Top each serving with fried egg.
Substitute finely crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese for Parmesan cheese if desired.
Substitute a pinch of smoked paprika for hot pepper flakes if desired.