Lynn Crawford's Black Bean and Egg Tostadas
Thanks to Chef Lynn Crawford, we have the perfect summer party meal. Enjoy on the deck with a cold beverage!
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) salt
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) olive oil, for frying
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) chili powder
- 1 can black beans (540 mL), rinsed and drained
- 6 small eggs
- 6 corn tostadas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) crumbled queso fresco
- For garnish, fresh cilantro leaves and sliced limes
In a small non-reactive bowl, combine red onion, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil and gently sauté garlic. Add cumin, chili powder, and black beans, and warm through. If desired, lightly mash beans with a fork. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add oil and fry eggs sunny side up, in batches if necessary.
To assemble: For each serving, spoon warm black beans over tostada. Top with avocado, then fried eggs. Garnish with red onion, radishes, jalapeño, queso fresco and cilantro leaves. Serve with sliced limes.
Nutritional information if using large eggs: Calories 360, Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Trans Fat 0.1 g, Sodium 676 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Fibre 9 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 18 g