- Wait Time:
- 75 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pkg (8 g/11 mL) active dry yeast
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups (440 mL) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk, warmed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) raisins
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped candied mixed peel
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) plain 2% yogurt
Combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water, 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar and yeast. Let sit until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Whisk whole wheat flour with 1 1/2 (375 mL) cups all-purpose flour, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice and cloves; set aside.
Whisk milk with butter, remaining sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla and lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture. Stir in flour mixture with wooden spoon until shaggy dough starts to form, adding remaining all-purpose flour if dough is too sticky. Stir in raisins and candied peel.
Transfer to lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 45 to 60 minutes.
Punch down dough. Turn out dough on lightly floured surface. Divide into 16 equal portions.
Roll each portion, shaping into a ball. Place buns 1 1/2-inches (4 cm) apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Let buns rise, covered, until doubled in volume, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake buns in lower third of oven until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix sugar with water in small saucepan set over medium high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves. Brush over buns. Cool buns completely.
Mix icing sugar with yogurt. Add to re-sealable bag; snip corner. Pipe cross on top of each cooled bun.
Tip: Look for chopped candied mixed peel in the baking aisle or in a bulk food store with the candied fruit.