- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- 4 slices day-old egg bread (1-inch/2.5cm thick slices)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced strawberries
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) finely grated orange zest
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
Insert small serrated knife horizontally into side of 1 piece of bread; cut along the length to make pocket, without cutting all the way through. Repeat with remaining slices. Toss together strawberries, banana, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar, and cinnamon; stuff evenly into pocket of each slice of bread.
In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, remaining sugar, vanilla, orange zest and salt; dip each slice of bread into egg mixture for 15 to 20 seconds or until well saturated.
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook French toast, flipping once, for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with maple syrup.
• Garnish with additional fruit if desired.
• Add 2 oz (60 g) chopped bittersweet chocolate to the fruit filling for an extra-special brunch dish.