- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) diced cremini or white mushrooms
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp/5 mL dried thyme)
- 1/8 tsp ( 0.5 mL ) salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) pasta sauce, heated (optional)
Place yolks in large bowl; whisk until blended. Add mushrooms, ¾ cup (175 mL) cheese, thyme and salt; whisk until combined.
Place egg whites in another large bowl; beat with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture, avoiding over-folding so as not to deflate whites.
Spray 10-inch (25 cm) ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Pour mixture into skillet. Cook over medium heat until bottom is set, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
Place skillet in preheated 425°F (225°C) oven and bake until top is puffed and golden, and frittata is set, 8 or 9 minutes. Cut in wedges and serve immediately, with warmed pasta sauce spooned over each serving, if desired.
• When separating eggs, crack each egg white individually into a small bowl first. This will allow you to check that there is no yolk in the white before adding it to the rest of the whites. Any yolk in the whites will prevent the whites from beating to a stiff foam.
• To ovenproof the handle of the skillet, wrap it with a double thickness of aluminum foil.
*Nutrients per serving (1/4 of frittata)