- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk (1%)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 6 slices day-old bread (egg bread or raisin bread ), 1/2 to 3/4 inch (1 to 1.5 cm) thick
- Maple syrup, icing sugar and/or fruit (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Whisk eggs, milk, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in shallow dish until blended. Place bread in mixture; leave for 3 minutes. Turn bread over; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Transfer bread to non-stick baking sheet or cookie sheet lined with foil sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 minutes. Turn carefully and bake until puffed and golden, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
If desired, drizzle over top or sift icing sugar on slices and serve with fresh fruit.
Instead of chilling overnight, French toast can be baked once liquid has been absorbed.
Baked French toast slices can be frozen in single servings, then popped in the toaster to reheat.