- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- 4 large (about 4 inches/10 cm in diameter) portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the grill to medium heat (about 350°F/180°C).
Wipe mushroom caps with dry paper towel. Remove stems.
With a spoon, scrape out black gills, taking care not to break edges of mushrooms.
Brush mushroom caps with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, cap side down. Crack an egg into each mushroom. Close the lid. Grill until eggs are cooked as desired and mushroom is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the grill; sprinkle pepper and 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese over top of each egg.
• Choose portobello mushrooms with good “shoulders” to keep the eggs contained as they cook.
• To fill the mushrooms easily, crack each egg into a small cup first, then pour into the mushroom.
• If your barbecue slopes slightly, use a small piece of crumpled foil to prop up mushroom so egg doesn’t slide off.
• Top eggs with shredded cheese of your choice.
• Sprinkle fresh herbs (e.g. chopped thyme, chives or parsley) over tops of eggs once cooked.
• Line inside of mushrooms with thin slice of ham before adding eggs.
• Serve with fruit or a salad, or tucked into grilled burger buns.