Grandma's Indian-Style Omelette
This typical Indian-style omelette is a classic combination of fresh tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and green chilies with a hint of garam masala – perfect for breakfast, brunch or lunch.
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) garam masala
- 4 tsp ( 20 mL ) ghee or butter, divided
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) ghee or butter
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) tomato, finely cubed
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) red onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup ( 175 mL ) cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 small green chilies, finely chopped (optional)
Garam Masala Ketchup
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) tomato ketchup
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) garam masala
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) chili powder (optional)
Garam masala ketchup
In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients. Set aside.
Heat a medium non-stick skillet on medium-high. Melt ghee or butter and add tomato, red onion, cilantro and green chilies. Gently fry for a couple of minutes until onion is softened. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
In a skillet, melt 1 tsp of ghee or butter. Add egg mixture and spread evenly in skillet to create a thin egg crepe-like omelette. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown and omelette is cooked. Sprinkle on a ¼ amount of cooked tomato and onion mixture. Roll omelette into a log. Continue with remaining eggs.
Serve with Garam Masala Ketchup.
When possible, use ghee for this recipe as it lends a rich buttery taste to this Indian-style omelette.