Egg Muffuletta Sandwich
Enjoy this bread bowl inspired sandwich for dinner, lunch or at your next get-together. It’s quick and easy to make, with the round Italian bread keeping a tower of ingredients neatly in place until it reaches your mouth.
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- 1 10- inch (25 cm) round Italian bread
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) basil pesto
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) sliced black olives
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 6 slices of deli or roast turkey breast
Cut top one-third off the loaf of bread and set aside. Scoop out some of the bread inside to form a bread bowl, leaving about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick walls.
Spread mayonnaise and basil pesto on inside surfaces of top and bottom of loaf. Layer lettuce in the bottom, then top with sliced tomato, eggs, sun-dried tomatoes (if using), olives, mozzarella cheese, onion and turkey breast; cover with top of loaf.
Wrap sandwich well with plastic wrap and place in fridge. Place a large plate over top of sandwich and weigh it down with something heavy (e.g. can of beans). Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, cut into six wedges and serve.
Leftover bread can be used to make croutons. Preheat oven to 250°F. Cut bread into cubes and toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan cheese. Spread on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes or until bread is golden brown.