- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Wait Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ( 375 mL ) milk
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) Dijon mustard
- 12 slices day-old Italian loaf (about 3/4-inch/2 cm thick)
- 12 slices ham
- 1 1/2 cup ( 375 mL ) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 3 cups ( 750 mL ) baby spinach
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; set aside.
Whisk together eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, chives, garlic, salt and pepper; pour 1 cup (250 mL) of the egg mixture into baking dish. Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread. Arrange 4 bread slices in bottom of pan, mustard side up. Layer half of the ham slices, ½ cup Gruyère cheese and half of the spinach over top. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining bread, mustard side down, and Gruyère cheese.
Pour remaining egg mixture over top; press gently to allow bread to soak up egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the egg mixture for a spicy addition.