- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 70 min
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) brown long grain rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) chopped fresh Italian parsley or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried parsely
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 8 eggs
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) salt (divided)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Bring vegetable broth and rice to boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, garlic, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of parsley and 1 tbsp (15 mL) basil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir two eggs into rice mixture.
Press rice onto bottom and up side of 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate. Bake on bottom rack of preheated 375°F (190°C) oven until set, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, spray large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, red pepper, oregano and ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt; cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Spread into rice crust.
Whisk remaining eggs, parsley, basil and salt in bowl; pour over vegetables. Bake on bottom rack until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Use a 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate to keep the ratio of filling to crust proportional. With a smaller pie plate the crust will be too thick and will not cook properly.