- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
Chili Lime Crema
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) smoked chipotle powder
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) each kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) butter
- 8 6 inch (15 cm) soft corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) chopped green onions
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) pico de gallo
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) fresh cilantro sprigs
- Hot sauce, pickled jalapenos or pickled onions (optional)
To make the chili lime crema: In a small serving bowl, stir together the yogurt, chipotle powder and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, pour in the eggs. As the eggs begin to set around the edges, with a spatula, gently push the eggs from the edge of the skillet toward the centre, forming soft curds. Stir gently until the eggs are cooked but still soft and fluffy. Remove the scrambled eggs from the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
To assemble, place a warm tortilla on a plate. Lay a couple of slices of avocado in the centre. Add some red cabbage, romaine, a heaping spoonful of scrambled eggs, a sprinkle of Cheddar cheese, and green onion. Top with a spoonful of pico de gallo, a dollop of chili lime crema and a sprinkling of cilantro. If desired, kick up the heat with your favourite fiery hot sauce, pickled jalapenos or pickled onions. Fold up to eat.
To serve the tacos, place the warmed tortillas and bowls of filling ingredients on the table for everyone to assemble their own.