- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Bring 2 cups (500 mL) water to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in oats and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter.
Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in non-stick skillet set over medium heat; break eggs into skillet. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs whites are just set for sunny-side up. (Alternatively, cook to desired doneness.)
Divide oatmeal among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and green onion. Top each serving with fried egg. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
• Substitute chopped chives, baby arugula or cherry tomatoes for the green onions.
• Cook oats in vegetable or chicken broth instead of water.