- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped sundried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) capers
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
Combine cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, oil, vinegar, parsley, capers, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Stir together ricotta, basil and Parmesan; set aside. Whisk together eggs, 3 tbsp (45 mL) water, salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; pour in one-quarter of the egg mixture. As eggs set around edge of skillet, gently push cooked portions toward centre of skillet with spatula to create soft curds, tilting and rotating skillet to allow uncooked egg to flow into empty spaces.
When eggs are almost set on surface but still moist, cover half of the omelette with one-quarter of the ricotta filling. Fold over; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining egg mixture, filling and oil to make 4 omelettes. Serve with Tomato Salad.
• Add pinch of hot pepper flakes to salad if desired.
• Substitute finely chopped pitted black olives for capers.
• Serve with rustic Italian bread, or on a bed of arugula if desired.