Menemen: Turkish Egg Dish
This traditional Turkish dish often features scrambled eggs. Here we are featuring eggs that are gently poached in the vegetable-loaded tomato sauce.
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- ½ red chili pepper, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) tomato paste
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) each dried oregano and hot or sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) salt, divided
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) freshly ground pepper
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) chopped parsley
- Whole wheat toast (optional)
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) plain yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Pinch each salt, freshly ground pepper and hot pepper flakes
Stir yogurt with garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat oil in a 10 inch (25 cm) skillet set over medium heat.
Add garlic, onion, green pepper and chili pepper rings. Cook, stirring until softened, 3 or 4 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, paprika, half the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, 18 to 20 minutes.
Preheat broiler to high, position the rack 6 inches from the heat source.
Make 6 divots in the sauce mixture; crack an egg into each divot. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Cook until egg whites start to set, 3 to 5 minutes.
Broil until eggs are soft cooked or cooked until desired doneness is achieved, 1 to 2 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with Yogurt Sauce and toast, if desired.