- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 35 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural bran
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) wheat germ
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk (1%)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Spray 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
Combine oats, bran, wheat germ, flour, dried cranberries, almonds, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in large bowl.
Whisk eggs, applesauce, milk and brown sugar in another bowl. Pour over dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Spread into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until a toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack before cutting into bars.
For a nut-free option, replace almonds or walnuts with 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried fruits.