Keto Friendly Sausage Pizza Rolls
These savoury pizza rolls are gluten-free, keto-friendly and low-carb.
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) olive oil
- 12 oz ( 345 g ) lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) each salt, pepper and dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) each fennel seeds, smoked paprika and hot pepper flakes
- ⅔ cup ( 170 mL ) coconut flour
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) baking powder
- ¾ tsp ( 4 mL ) xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) salt
- 4 oz ( 115 g ) brick-style plain cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups ( 750 mL ) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) strained puréed tomatoes (passata), divided
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) tomato paste
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) finely chopped fresh basil, divided
Preheat oven to 375˚F (190°C). Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook beef, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, fennel, smoked paprika and hot pepper flakes for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Let cool completely.
In bowl, whisk together coconut flour, ¼ cup (60 mL) Parmesan, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; set aside.
In microwave-safe bowl, combine cream cheese and 2 cups (500 mL) mozzarella. Microwave on Medium, stirring every 30 seconds, for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted. Immediately stir in coconut flour mixture and eggs until combined.
Using wet hands, mix together to form dough. Pat into disk. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll out dough into 15- x 9-inch (38 x 23 cm) rectangle, about ¼-inch (5 mm) thick.
Mix together tomatoes, tomato paste and half of the basil. Spread half of the sauce over rolled dough. Top with remaining mozzarella, sausage filling and remaining Parmesan. Starting from one long end, roll up tightly into log shape. Cut into 12 pieces.
Place pizza rolls, cut side up, in greased 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate or baking dish. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Warm remaining sauce in small saucepan. Serve hot or at room temperature with sauce for dipping.
• For meat-lover’s pizza rolls, add crispy cooked bacon to the filling.
• For an Easy to find substitute of xanthan gum, try Cornstarch.