- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 5 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each finely chopped fresh parsley, basil and chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices rustic French or Italian bread (about 1/2-inch/1 cm thick slices), toasted
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 tsp (20 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) flaked sea salt
Stir together ricotta, parsley, basil, chives, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Fill saucepan with enough water to come 3 inches (8 cm) up side; heat to gentle simmer. Stir in vinegar. Break cold egg into small dish or saucer; holding dish just above simmering water, gently slip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook in barely simmering water until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain well on paper towel.
Meanwhile, spread Herbed Ricotta over toasted bread. Top with avocado and tomatoes. Arrange poached eggs over top. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Substitute your favourite herbs in the ricotta; try tarragon, cilantro or mint.
If desired, substitute fried eggs for poached eggs.