- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 18 min
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) olive or grapeseed oil
- 6 shiitake or button mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) of salt
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) freshly ground pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 branches of celery, diced
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, skin on, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 cups ( 1 L ) baby spinach
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp ( 60 mL ) parmesan cheese or grated cheese of your choosing
- Optional Garnish: Espelette peppers or chilli flakes
Heat the oil in a medium-sized soup pot with a thick base, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes, mixing with a wooden spoon.
Add the carrots, celery, butternut squash and zucchini, garlic, tomato, baby spinach and parsley, mix and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
Cover with 4 cups (1 L) of water and boil. Then lower the heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes without the lid.
Lower the heat a little to medium-low. Crack eggs on top of the soup, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat (remove the pot of soup from the stove) and let stand for 3 minutes for a softer egg yolk or 5 minutes for a firm yolk.
To serve: In each bowl, serve the soup with the eggs and add a tablespoon (15 mL) of your cheese to the top. You can also garnish the dish with Espelette pepper or chilli flakes and serve with a slice of toasted bread!