- 2 cans chunky crabmeat (120 g each), well-drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped, drained canned roasted red peppers
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh thyme
- 10 slices whole grain bread, cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
Place crabmeat in a medium bowl. Pat roasted red peppers dry with paper towels and add to crabmeat. Add green onions, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of parsley and thyme. Place half of bread cubes in a greased shallow 9 x 13 inch (3L) baking dish. Spoon crabmeat mixture over bread cubes. Top with remaining bread cubes.
Whisk together eggs, Dijon mustard, nutmeg, and hot pepper sauce.
Whisk in milk. Pour egg mixture evenly over top of bread cubes. Top with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator and bake, uncovered at 350°F (180°C) for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining fresh parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: To reduce the salt in the overall recipe, rinse the crabmeat and drain well.