- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 50 min
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) raisins, soaked in bourbon or orange juice
- 8 cups (2 L) cubed day-old dry brioche or challah bread (cut into 1 1/2-inch/4 cm pieces)
- Icing sugar, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish; set aside.
In bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, orange zest and salt. Drain raisins. Combine raisins and bread cubes in large bowl; stir in egg mixture until well combined. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until egg mixture is completely absorbed.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until custard is set and top springs back when touched lightly. Let stand for 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar.
Top with a drizzle of your favourite dessert sauce, such as salted caramel or chocolate.
Add other dried fruits, such as cherries, apricots or cranberries, if desired.