- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 75 min
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cream of tartar (or 1tsp/5mL lemon juice)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) almond extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) low fat plain yogurt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- Grated rind of one lemon
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh berries or chopped fruit
Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in almond extract. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop mixture from spoon into 6 mounds; shape each into a circle, making sides higher than centre.
Bake until dry and crisp, approximately 75 minutes. Turn oven off and cool meringues in oven for 1 hour with door slightly open.
Whisk yogurt, egg yolks, sugar and rind in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat and pour into large bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.
To assemble, fill meringues with sauce and top with fruit.