Delicious Apple Pancake
This apple pancake is beautifully presented in a cast iron skillet and a fantastic choice if you have guests over for brunch on the weekend.
- 2 medium apples
- 2-3 tbsp ( 30 mL ) butter
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) salt
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) evaporated 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) cooled, melted butter
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch (0.5mL) of cream of tartar
- Pinch (0.5mL) of salt
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) sugar
- 2 tsp ( 10 mL ) butter
- Cinnamon to garnish
- Syrup or icing sugar, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut apples in wedges and core. In a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan, sauté apples in 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) butter until lightly browned; remove from pan and set aside. Combine flour, salt and evaporated milk in a mixing bowl. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time; add melted butter.
In another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks; beat in sugar and continue beating until whites hold stiff peaks. Fold into batter using rubber spatula.
Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) butter in the frying pan. Remove from heat and pour batter into pan. Arrange apple wedges over batter. Bake at 350°F (180°C) until pancake is set, about 20 minutes. Add syrup or icing sugar if desired.