Dutch Baby Pancake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
There is no better way to start the weekend than with this recipe developed by Chef Lynn Crawford; the perfect dish for brunch with the family.
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 60 min
Apple Dutch Baby
- 1 large honey crisp apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) brown sugar
- 4 tbsp ( 60 mL ) unsalted butter, divided
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) milk
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) ground cinnamon
Maple Pecan Drizzle - Makes about 1 cup
- 4 tbsp ( 60 mL ) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) heavy cream
- ½ cup ( 125 mL ) confectioners' sugar
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) pecans, finely chopped
Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream - Makes about 1 cup
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) confectioners' sugar
- ¼ tsp ( 1.25 mL ) ground cinnamon
Apple Dutch Baby
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Toss together apple slices and brown sugar in a small bowl.
Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes and then melt in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter.
Add apples, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove apples from skillet, and wipe skillet clean.
Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add flour, sugar and cinnamon and whisk until smooth. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Immediately pour egg mixture into hot skillet, and top with cooked apples.
Transfer to oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until pancake is golden and puffed.
Remove pancake from oven, cut into wedges and serve topped with maple pecan sauce and cinnamon whipped cream.
Maple Pecan Drizzle
In a small saucepan, combine butter, maple syrup, and cream; bring to a boil.
Continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and sift the confectioners' sugar into the hot mixture. Whisk until smooth. Let cool for about 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in the finely chopped pecans.
Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream
Beat cream until thickened; beat in sugar and cinnamon. Continue beating until stiff. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.