Soft boiled eggs are a perfect way to enjoy eggs, and take virtually no time to make. Soft boiled eggs are great in the morning, added onto a salad for lunch, or included within a soup for dinner. Plus, soft boiled eggs are an absolute joy to eat straight out of the shell with a tiny spoon. You will love dunking your toast in the yolk!
A perfect soft boiled egg will have a just set white and a runny yet slightly creamy yolk not unlike a sunny-side up egg.
Things You'll Need
- Pot with lid
- Slotted spoon
- Egg cups (optional but definitely preferred!)
Place your eggs in a single layer on the bottom of your pot and cover with cold water. The water should be about an inch or so higher than the eggs.
Over high heat bring your eggs to a rolling boil.
Remove pot from heat and cover with a lid. Let stand for 3-5 minutes for a traditional soft boiled egg, which will have a set white and a warm but runny egg yolk.
Using a slotted spoon gently lift your eggs out of the water and let cool slightly before serving.
- Use a sharp knife to gently tap the top of the egg off. Place in an egg cup, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and serve with toast cut into strips or “soldiers” for dipping. If you have tiny egg spoons, even better!
- If you prefer a less runny or “jammy” yolk let the eggs sit for 6½ -7 minutes. Jammy eggs have a yolk that is slightly more set, or “spreadable,” making them perfect for soups and snacks.
- For eggs that will be not be eaten right away run under cold water for several minutes to cool and prevent further cooking.
- Keep soft boiled eggs in their shell in an air-tight container for up to 2 days.
Kitchen Tip: Download our handy Egg Timer app and never over boil your eggs again!