- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) penne pasta (275 g), uncooked
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped sun-dried tomatoes (rehydrated or oil-packed)
- 1 cup (250 mL) evaporated skim milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Cook broccoli until tender-crisp. Drain pasta and broccoli and set aside.
Combine broth, onion and garlic in large non-stick skillet. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid has evaporated and onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add pasta, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
Whisk evaporated milk and cornstarch in medium bowl until blended; whisk in eggs and basil. Pour egg mixture over pasta. Stir mixture constantly just until sauce thickens; remove from heat.
Sprinkle cheese over top and serve.
Instead of broccoli, use spinach, zucchini or arugula.
Pasta and broccoli can be cooked in the same saucepan at the same time. Add broccoli in the last few mintues of cooking.