- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat or oat bran or wheat germ (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk or soured 2% milk*
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- Fresh berries or chopped fruit (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)
Stir flour, cornstarch, bran (if using), sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in large bowl. Whisk eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in small bowl. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until combined.
Spray large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup (50 mL) batter per pancake into pan, spreading batter slightly. Cook until bubbles appear on surface, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 1 minute.
Serve immediately or keep warm while cooking remaining batter. Serve topped with fresh berries and syrup , if desired.
*To sour milk, pour 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar into measuring cup; add enough milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).
For a quick breakfast, prepare pancakes in advance, freeze and reheat in the microwave.