Chocolate Butterscotch Meringue Pie
prep. time 15 min.
cook time 20 min.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Bake pastry shell; cool.
- Whisk 2/3 cup (150 mL) milk and flour in small bowl until blended. Set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar. Bring mixture to boil; boil until slightly caramelized, 2 to 2-1/2 minutes. Add remaining 2 cups (500 mL) milk all at once (butterscotch will harden). Cook and stir until butterscotch dissolves. Stir in flour mixture. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir about one quarter of hot mixture into egg yolks. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute, without boiling. Add vanilla. Pour about half of mixture into pastry shell. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate to remaining filling; stir until well blended. Spoon carefully over butterscotch filling in pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer in medium bowl until foamy. Add granulatd sugar gradually, about 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and meringue is stiff but still glossy. Spoon over warm chocolate filling, making sure meringue adheres to pastry shell edge, covering filling completely. Bake in preheated oven to 400°F (200°C) until meringue is golden, about 8 minutes. Cool on wire rack. When cool, refrigerate, uncovered, until ready to serve.