prep. time 20 min.
cook time 10 min.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Toast almonds on large baking sheet in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and let cool. Lower oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Transfer almonds to food processor. Add flour and 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar; pulse until finely ground.
- Beat egg whites and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in almond mixture.
- Spoon 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart.
- Bake until just starting to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, then store in covered container for up to 1 week.
If you can't find super fine sugar, make your own. Place about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar in food processor. Process until sugar is finely powdered. Measure out 1-1/4 cups (300 mL). Instead of flour, use cocoa powder to make Chocolate Amaretti. Spoon each batch just before baking. Use a 1-inch (2.5 cm) ice cream scoop to quickly form cookies.